Now here’s a secret weapon that not even Andy Murray knows about (well he might now if he reads this !). A swear by recipe for avid tennis players. This cake is very well “received” by our Sunday morning tennis group and “serves” as a great incentive to finish the match and get back to the feast. Come and enjoy a tennis holiday in Barbados – cake is optional but recommended ! It gives you loads of energy for those long 5 set matches, before you relax on the beach.
2 cups of dried fruit/nuts
2 oz butter
1 cup of water or tea
1½ cups of plain flour (spelt flour works)
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup of sugar 1 beaten egg
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place fruit, butter, sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil and simmer together for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Sieve flour, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the hot mixture from the saucepan and mix thoroughly
- Add the beaten egg and mix thoroughly and pour into the loaf tin
Bake in a preheated oven for 1¼ hours at 375°F.
The cakes freezes well, so make extra !
If you’re interested in playing tennis then join us in Barbados and contact Paradise Rentals. We can direct you to qualified coaches, tennis clinics or even help you arrange matches. We have excellent tennis resorts like Sugar Hill with all weather courts, because of course it does rain occasionally !